21 November 2007

Every year the meaning of Thanksgiving takes on more and more importance to me. This year, I was hoping to have a class discussion on this topic but, of course, we had too much stuff going on. What has come to bother me over the past several years are individuals that take too many things for granted...people that complain of being bored when there is so much beauty in the world, accomplishments to be made, and knowledge to attain. I applaud this year's 7th grade class. Not once have I heard "I hate this school" or "Groton is poor". This is a sign that the students appreciate our school and respect their surroundings. The students are polite and I would love to see more of these positive aspects. I have compiled a short list of 20 things that I try not to take for granted...all things that I feel truly lucky for.

My health
Working with the best teachers in the area
Supportive parents
Birds
Books
Candlelight
Diversity in human beings
A warm night and a sky full of stars
Groton and the surrounding area
Nature and all that lives as a part of it
Music
A supportive principal
People that care
People that are interesting
Mountains
My five senses
Running water
My optimism
Heat/Electricity
Time

If you find time, please comment to give your list. If you're too embarrassed, just post as anonymous. Have a great Thanksgiving.

-Mr. DeVoe

6 comments:

t-pach said...

my family
my friends
my x-box 360 and wii
my teachers
my cell phone
my bestfriend
myspace
my pets
and thats about it i dont know why people would be embarrest its not that bad

Jason said...

I am thankful for music, too.

Unknown said...

I'm thankful for everything! :)

Anonymous said...

hey Mr.Devoe, how is your book coming along?

Barb said...

I'm betting my list would be close to Mr. Devoe's.

-family to laugh,love and fight with
-friends, the family we choose
-colleagues, including all staff-- the best! So many times this vacation have I talked about what a great staff we have, with Mr.Devoe right at the top of the list.
-money enough to pay the bills but not so much I am lost in things
-struggles to keep me thinking but not do me in
-great students who add so much to my life
-a brain and a body to use and to fight age with
-the Salvo to treasure hunt in
-a dog to love, and other pets too!
-books to read, connect and share
-a welcoming community to work and raise my children in
-excellent teachers to help guide, teach and enrich my children
-coffee to drink, to warm my mind, body and spirit
-The Glenwood Pines for dinner away
-Fridays for relaxing and Mondays for beginning again
-the wonders around me: nature with its surprises
-people, for all their quirks and kindnesses
-my hottub for starting the day
-my bed and blankets for warmth and an ending to the day
-the Ithaca Bakery for its coffee and welcoming atmosphere

I have done it. 20, I think. And a big thank you to Mr. Devoe who has given me something to think about on the 6 hour ride home! (oh! I just saw Jason's music...that too)

Chad DeVoe said...

Ms. Bassette....very nice list. You've included a few I forgot. It's hard to limit it to 20, that's for sure.