11 January 2008

Yesterday we analyzed the results of the spice lab. As seen in the picture, we concluded that cinnamon has high antibacterial properties. The petri dish shows bacteria growing around the cinnamon but not on top of it. We also concluded that the green leafy spices usually carry some sort of bacteria on the leaf, thus promoting bacterial growth.


Today we watched a video clip about viruses. The question came up about how small viruses are in relation to cells. The figure puts viruses right between bacteria (prokaryotes) and proteins. Special thanks to Mr. Grazul for providing excellent scanning electron microscope images of Tobacco Mosaic Virus and yeast.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember those skits from last year! they were funny!

Chad DeVoe said...

Yes...I will have video up very soon from this years' skits.

Anonymous said...

IF I were to be something that could cause a disaese, I would want to be a virus.They amuse me.