22 September 2007


Friday night was our first (and hopefully annual) Middle School Boys camp-out. I am going to go ahead and declare the night a huge success! Our first activity involved three SUNY Cortland Basketball players. They took us through several team-building and leadership activities. After dinner (Hotdogs, veggiedogs, Cayuga Lake perch, and potatoes), each grade had their own individual campfire w/smores. After that, Mr. Filzen treated us to some very cool juggling tricks and we finished the night watching Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark outside on the big screen. I have to say, I was so proud of the 8th graders. I miss not having many of you this year and you are turning into spectacular human beings. Your leadership and character was very evident last night and I wish you all the best of luck as you finish 8th grade and go through high school. The 7th graders: I hope you've learned what it means to be the "middle child" this year. You will grow into great people this year and we're looking forward to seeing amazing growth in behavior as well as academics. 6th graders: I had a great time getting to know some of you. Welcome to Groton Middle School! Be sure to learn from the best of the upperclassmen and the teachers that care so much about you. There are some great role-models here. Below are a few pictures from the nights' activities. None of this would have been possible without the commitment and enthusiasm of Mr. Filzen, Mr. Toyama, Mr. Lott, Mr. Wiech, Mr. Weeks, and Mr. Giroux. Also, special thanks to Mr. Morton, Mr. Totman, and Mr. Lockwood for helping out and to Mrs. Filzen for all her behind-the-scenes magic and Middle School Student Council for making this event absolutely free to every student.

 
Good Morning Campers!


Breakfast


Chris and Jake get ready for breakfast


Mr. Giroux crashed for a few hrs in Mr. Lott's room.


Mr. Lott getting his 1.2 hrs of sleep after surviving most of the night awake


Justin T. was The Man at breakfast


Nate C. waits as Mr. Giroux fixes a breakfast burrito.


Mr. Toyama was the only teacher to technically pull the "all-nighter" without dozing off for a little bit.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg, mr.devoe. do u kno my cuzin jeff lasher? or my other cuzin stehanie preston? well theyre both in the same grade (but r from diff sides of the family). if so, say hi to them for me! tell them i luv em. p3@c3

~CoRiNnE n.

Unknown said...

I thought this was SOOO fun!

Anonymous said...

why was every1 camping?

Anonymous said...

That picture of Mr. Giroux sleeping on the desks is funny! :3

Anonymous said...

OMG Mr.Devoe u couldn't let girls have a camp out. I'm a tough chic I can deal wit the weather. I luv camping more than science. No offense. If u grow up in my family we r constanly camping. C. GIRLS SHOULD HAVE A CAMPOUT! Pleez.

~Crazy rabid squirell

Anonymous said...

P.S crazy rabid squirell is a girl.