Tompkins County had their first fatality (death) as a result of the H1N1 flu strain. A 20 year old Cornell student died last week at Cayuga Medical Center. The flu actually kills millions of people each year, mostly elderly and young children. This flu strain is scary because it seems to be hitting early in the season and affects people of all ages. At 20 years old, people are usually at peak health and to my knowledge this student was a healthy individual. Experts believe that H1N1 will hit the schools (like Groton) in another 2-3 weeks!! So what can we do??
1. Check this website for more information to educate yourself.
2. Wash your hands with soap for at least 20 seconds.
3. Avoid touching railings, door knobs, and other things that get touched frequently.
4. Do not touch your eyes, mouth, or nose with your hands.
5. Some people are considering getting a vaccine. That is up to you.